You’re hungry, and decide to go to your kitchen cabinet for a late-night snack. You pull out some bread, put some mayonnaise and turkey meat on it, and top it off with a leaf of lettuce. You then proceed to eat the sandwich, clean up your mess, and go back to bed.
The next morning, you have a strong fever, your nose is running everywhere, and you can barely move. Your spouse drives you to the doctor, and you find out you have an infection caused by bacteria.
How? Turns out, the bread, meat, and lettuce you used the night before had spoiled, but you were not aware of it. As a result, you ended up getting sick and nearly dying from it.
So, so sad.
Now, could this scenario actually happen? Yes, yes it could. But it would be even MORE likely to happen if it weren’t for that one thing that lets people know when they shouldn’t eat something…
Yeah, that’s right, mold. Bet you never thought you’d see an article about being thankful for THAT, did ya?
But if you think about it, food mold acts as natures warning system to humans that food once okay to eat is no longer fresh. It has a bad smell to it, is oftentimes green, and can even take on slime-like qualities. All of these things tell a potential consumer: “WARNING! FOOD IS NO LONGER SAFE FOR DIGESTION! THROW AWAY AND BACK AWAY RIGHT NOW!!”
And it’s a good thing, too, ’cause not having something in place to warn us about this kind of thing would be disastrous for us. Think of how often we leave something in the refrigerator for weeks at a time and forget about it, or leave food sitting out in the open for more than a few days. All of those foods go bad, and to not be able to know that would probably kill off the majority of our population in a matter of weeks!
Ah, food mold… now THAT’S something to be thankful for!